Thursday, September 3, 2026

We've Become the Product

Healthcare used to be simple. You called. You were seen. The doctor knew your name. You paid a reasonable copay and left with answers. That version is mostly gone. What replaced it is a machine built to process people, not care for them. 

Insurance is the real customer. Billing codes are the real language. Networks, portals, forms, referrals, and “not covered” are the real product. The clinic does not need to know you. It needs to extract enough data, enough signatures, enough billable minutes to keep the machine running. The doctor gets four minutes. The nurse gets eight. You wait weeks, then months, then get three (or ten) separate bills and a phone tree that explains nothing. 

It is efficient for the companies in the middle. It is profitable for the ones who sell the software, the plans, the networks, the “patient engagement” tools. It is sad for everyone else. You are not treated like a person who is scared, tired, or in pain. You are treated like a claim that might or might not pay out. Your time is cheap. Your data is useful. Your loyalty is assumed because you have nowhere else to go. 

Medicine did not have to become this. It could have stayed a relationship between a sick person and someone trying to help. Instead it adopted the same model as everything else by turning the human into inventory.

Thoughts?

Much Love, Lynn 

Support the blog with a one-time tip: PayPal | Buy Me A Coffee
Exclusive content & deeper dives: Patreon | SubscribeStar | Substack | Buy Me A Coffee
Stay connected: Telegram Channel | Telegram Chat | X 

2 comments:

  1. These days I think you live longer if you avoid doctors. I'm under the impression Kaiser was trying to kill my retired flat mate. He was feeling worse and worse over a prescription they gave him that it seems he didn't even need, he quit taking it, and is now higher energy than he's been in a long time. Me? I've avoided Kaiser even when I was insured, am currently not, but that will. change next year since I will be stuck applying for Medicare, being I am currently 64. I still won't use them. I fix myself or I die. I'm an NDE case anyway, so I'm actually looking forward to my 'contract'. being up. The music, and the company on the Otherside, not to mention the restored divine abilities we all have (if you're in the right location) are parsecs better than this realm which I find comparatively rather repulsive. I can't wait to get my 'Akashic Library Card' approved. (I'm too volatile to have more access than I do, here.) Thank the gods this is my last round here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I'm a Pantheist Cathar, so. . .consider this the realm of the demiurge, and. such; though I have what I suppose would be considered a bad attitude, being I'm living for the next world and not this one, which I rather greatly disapprove of and feed as little as possible. On the other hand, being a contrary minimalist makes life quite a bit easier. Way fewer obligations and much less stress.

      Delete